The Utah Center for Arts hosts art exhibits from renowned and emerging artists with over 9000 sq ft. of exhibition space. The UAA (Utah Arts Alliance) also hosts poetry readings, independent film screenings, live music, dance performances, plays and more.
- Center Gallery Monthly Exhibitions.
- Artist Studios for Photographers, Painters, Sculptors, Musicians and Actors.
- Salt Lake Capoeira, Brazilian Martial Arts and Cultural Organization.
- SLC Photo Club, the UAA’s free group for photographers.
- Rubaiyat Dance Company
- Mothermoon Expressive Therapy
- Musicgarage.org The UAA’s music performance program for youth and adults.
- Salsa Dancing Classes.
- Slam Poetry Events.
- Incendiary Circus, Fire Dancing Group, with free lessons bi-weekly.
- Modern Dance and Movement classes for adults and kids.
- The Center Stage, hosts productions from community and touring theater groups
Utah Arts Alliance
SLC Arts Hub
663 West 100 South
Salt Lake City, Utah
Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian martial art which includes elements of physical and mental strength, beauty, and power. M. Jamaika often refers to capoeira as a “complete martial art” in that it encompasses a vast spectrum of movement and culture; it incorporates kicks, ground movements, self-defense, acrobatics, music, and tradition.
It is played in a circle, or roda, with two members engaging in various attacks and defenses while maintaining a melodic fluidity. These movements are driven by the rhythms emanating from the roda’s instruments and vocal song. Capoeira was created by African slaves in Brazil over 500 years ago, and through Mestre Bimba and others, has since become a recognized art form. Capoeira can be done by anyone of any age or size and its benefits are evident in all who take it on. It is a beautiful expression.
Salt Lake Capoeira offers classes for all levels and types of students in Utah.
Classes focus on all aspects of Capoeira: strength, flexibility, movement, endurance, coordination, interaction, rhythmic skills, vocal and instrumental skills, cultural awareness, performance, and community.